Shrove Tuesday pancakes {recipe}

21:22

Fat Tuesday, Mardi gras, pancake day...call it what you will, it's this week.

Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. Traditionally celebrated as the day before Lent begins, Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent. I'm not sure who decides what is or not allowed during Lent.

Growing up I thought that Shrove Tuesday was the day when you remember the Jews preparing to go into exile but I can't find any reference to that so I may have made it up.

Anyway, we Brits celebrate Shrove Tuesday by making pancakes. Not the fluffy fat pancakes like Americans have for breakfast but proper thin pancakes.



So...here's my pancake recipe so that we can spread the Pancake day love across the pond.

Start by measuring 200ml of milk and 75ml of water into a large jug. Crack 2 eggs into it and a pinch of salt. Sift 110g of plain flour into the jug and mix well. I use a hand mixer because I'm lazy. Dusband uses a hand whisk cos he's...well, a man.


Once your mix is ready heat your frying pan to a really super hot temperature and then reduce that down to a medium heat. If you're using a tefal pan like we use you won't need any butter or oil but if not you'll need to make sure there's a thin coating to stop the pancakes sticking to the pan.

Using a ladle I dollop one spoonful into the pan and tilt it until the mix is evenly distributed in the pan.



Leave the pancake to cook until it starts to curl up at the edges and then you can try your flipping skills. (Dusband calls them his skillzor).


I can't flip so I use a spatula to turn them over. They cook super quickly on the back so careful you don't over cook.

You can either serve them immediately or layer them up on a plate in a warm oven to keep and eat together.


Serve with chunks of fresh lemon and caster sugar.



I always roll mine up and eat with a fork and a spoon but today I realised that a knife and fork would make more sense so why do I eat them with a spoon? Anyone?!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Ah, pancakes! I always manage to miss them...even this year I will because I'm out lol
    Glad to see you're a sugar and lemon girl! Definitely the best way to enjoy pancakes...and I eat mine with a spoon and fork too....no idea why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a lesson they teach at infant school that makes absolutely no sense but it's on the curriculum so they teach it lol x

      Delete
  2. Same way I eat them, hmmmmmm, I never thought about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hulllllooooo,

    I eat mine with just a fork to save on washing up. No need for a knife as the edge of the fork cuts through the pancake sufficiently. A fork is obviously better than a spoon for both cutting and picking up, and there's no need for a spoon unless there's syrup or ice cream inside said pancake ready to ooze out.

    Byeeeeeee,
    ROFLDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen those sporks? One piece of cutlery to do the job of all three? Maybe that's what I need. :)

      Delete
  5. Yummy! I have a very picky daughter but this is definitely something she just might gobble up! Thanks so much for sharing at A Couple of Craft Addicts!

    ReplyDelete

Love our posts? Sign up to our newsletter!

* indicates required

Instagram

Fabulous Followers